According to The Small Business Development Centers of PA, women owned businesses are increasing in number, range, diversity, and earning power. Eight million businesses (28 percent of all businesses) are now owned by women. As a woman business owner, there are statewide and nationwide certifications exclusively available to assist you in helping your business grow.
Years ago I helped get Bear Staffing certified by The Women’s Business Enterprise National Council. Since obtaining our certification, we’ve gained new business through attending exclusive networking events and the WBENC National Conference and Business Fair. As your desire to grow your business remains strong and you seek out new opportunities for doing so, checking out women owned business certifications are worth it, in my opinion.
As noted by Inc.com, getting certified as a Women Business Enterprise (WBE) can make the difference between landing that business or not. There are a variety of women owned business certifications that each have their own unique benefits. Some certifications are statewide and others are nationwide. The following two are national certifications. They each require that a woman own 51 percent of the business, in addition to other criteria.
Woman Business Enterprise Certification (WBE)
At a glance:
- Issuer: The National Women Business Owners Corporation (NWBOC).
- The NWBOC helps businesses that are certified promote their business through offering them the opportunity to: be in the NWBOC’s quarterly newsletter, have a listing in the NWBOCs interactive eProcurement MarketPlace (Value $300), and more.
- To apply, visit this website.
Women’s Business Enterprise National Council Certification (WBENC)
At a glance:
- As a holder of this certification, businesses are granted access to a current list of supplier diversity and procurement executives at hundreds of major U.S. corporations including federal, state, and local government entities that accept the WBENC Certification
- Holders of this certification are given formal and informal opportunities to pursue business deals with National Corporate Members and/or WBENC-Certified WBEs. Additional benefits>>
- For more information or to apply, visit the WBENC’s website.
Several statewide women owned business certifications (and minority owned business certifications) include:
- Missouri – Women Owned Business Enterprise
- New Jersey – Women Business Enterprise
- New York – NYS WMBE
- Pennsylvania – PA Unified Certification
- Wisconsin – Women Owned Business Certification
As your business grows, your need to hire new employees increases. For all your staffing needs, contact us.